In the tweet, Pavra says that she purchased the Redmi smartphone for her brother in December 2020. All was good until today when suddenly Priyanka’s brother noticed smoke coming out from the handset out of nowhere. Having seen quite a few phone blast incidents on the web, he instinctively threw the phone in water. Images posted by Pavra on Twitter show the phone has been completely damaged, with a broken display and the back portion burned and the glass cracked due to smoke. The Redmi Note 9 Pro/ Pro Max is clearly not going to be functional anymore, but fortunately, the incident didn’t harm the user. Since Xiaomi says the smoke is caused due to ‘customer induced damage’, it is unlikely the brand will offer a replacement or reimburse for the damage done.
There were two major incidents of Xiaomi phone blasts year that caught the headlines. In one case, a Redmi Note 6 Pro in a Gujarat retail outlet started emanating smoke, leading a technician to throw out the phone to avoid damage. The second case saw a Redmi Note 7 Pro heating up in the customer’s pocket before it caught on fire; thankfully, the customer had managed to pull it out and throw it on his bag before the blast could do bodily harm. Nonetheless, the bag was completely burnt and the fire grew too big to be contained even by a fire extinguisher. In the second case, Xiaomi said “the device was already damaged before it was brought to the service centre” and gave the customer a new phone and a bag as compensation.
Also read: 7 reasons smartphones can explode (and how to stop that from happening)