If you need a different phone number for work or leisure purposes but don't want to take out another cell phone contract, Google Voice may be the answer. The service provides Google users with a free phone number from which you can make phone calls (provided you purchase credit when necessary) and send and receive texts. You can even port your phone number to a Google Voice account, if you want.
You can also change your Google Voice number if needed at any time, though you will be charged a one-time $10 fee to do so. If you're ready for a new Google Voice number and don't mind the small cost, follow these steps.
1. On your computer, head to voice.google.com and ensure you're signed into your Google account.Advertisement
2. On the top-left corner of your screen, click the Menu button, then click Legacy Google Voice. While the page you navigate to will look different, this is the place to make the change.
3. Click Settings and then Settings again in the upper-right corner of your screen.
4. Click the Phones tab, then the Change/Port option next to your current phone number. From there, select I want a new number and follow the on-screen instructions.Advertisement
5. Once the process and payment is completed, you'll receive an email with instructions on how to proceed.
Before proceeding, it's worth noting that porting your mobile number to Google Voice will cost a flat $20 fee through most providers, including AT&T and Verizon.
In addition, not all mobile numbers can be ported to Google Voice, and you should check the porting status page to see if your number qualifies. You'll also need to get your account number and pin from your service provider before proceeding.Advertisement
If you're good to go, you can follow these steps, which start out the same as the above section.
1. Visit the Google Voice homepage and then navigate to Legacy Google Voice via the menu on the upper left-hand corner of your screen.
2. Click Settings (the icon that looks like a cog) and then Settings again. Then, click the Phones tab.Advertisement
3. Next to your current Google Voice number, click Change/Port, then select I want to use my mobile number.
4. Follow the instructions to proceed with setting up your new number and complete payment. You'll then need to set up phones to receive calls once the process is complete. Your number can take between 48 and 96 hours to port.How to set up and use Google Voice, Google's free telephone and texting service, on your phone or computerHow to change your voicemail greeting on Google Voice using a computer or mobile deviceHow to make international calls with Google Voice on your smartphone, tablet, or computerHow to delete your Google Voice number, and what it means for your account